Bellinghamn, WA 98225
LETTERED STREETS NEIGHBORHOOD
The Lettered Streets neighborhood in Bellingham shows off its proud Whatcom history around every corner. Wanting to live close to their jobs at the sawmills on Whatcom Creek, white settlers first began making their homes in the town of Whatcom in the 1850’s. In fact, the oldest brick building in Washington State (the old Territorial Courthouse on E Street) was built in 1858, and still survives today. Several structures in the Lettered Streets are now on the National Historic Register.
Built up during the late 1890’s and early 1900’s, the community flourished in its close proximity to Downtown, and its architecture still largely reflects the time period. Though the neighborhood declined slightly over time, in the 1960’s the community came together to restore the area’s old-fashioned charm while adding modern conveniences. With the help of grant money, they worked tirelessly to update and retrofit homes in the neighborhood, as well as put in new streets and water/sewer lines.
The neighborhood is now an eclectic mix of single-family homes, larger residences turned cozy apartment buildings, and grand older homes converted into office or business space. Among other park spaces, residents of the Lettered Streets neighborhood enjoy the community’s major park, the Maritime Heritage Park—a great place to enjoy a picnic, take a stroll, or view the large quantities of salmon that return to the hatchery each year. Tiny but beautiful, Gossage Garden is a flower-lover’s haven, with park benches and an ornate pavilion perfect for a romantic date-night conversation.
Children here attend Parkview Elementary, Whatcom Middle School, and Bellingham High School. All are within close proximity of the neighborhood.